DlangIDE

Keywan Ghadami via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 24 07:21:34 PST 2016

On Saturday, 23 January 2016 at 17:04:28 UTC, Binarydepth wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 February 2015 at 07:09:10 UTC, Vadim Lopatin
> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see any feedback.
>> Submit your bug reports and feature requests as issues on
>> GitHub.
>> Pull requests are welcomed.
>>
>> Let's discuss further improvements to make it usable in real
>> projects.
>
> A first step is to organize instead of being detailed. Maybe
> you could consider what type of feedback or goals for feedback
> you want.
>
> An important note is that the use of the word "usable" is not
> equal of being able to run the program and is what I think
> inspired criticism on the project. That's one aspect of Open
> Source that nobody mentions, the lack of direction.
>
> The lack of direction seems to be what is not letting you have
> new ideas for the project and you are discussing "features" in
> development and not "technical" pursuit. Sticking to say "I
> failed to implement Debugging" and not why you failed stating
> the approach that you took well, says a lot...
>
> I would just say : "Hack it and if you get it to make
> sandwiches then make me one"

Hi Binarydepth,

"lack of direction" is no problem in opensource, because
opensource allows evolution. If something is not "useable" for
you, you can use something else or improve it - thats up to you.

Sometimes we only want to have one useful solutions and we can't
understand why there are somemany other more or less "unuseful"
things. Like tausend of programming languages when all you ever
wanted is something like D ;-).

But as soon you open your mind and think of the nature, you
understand the beauty of evulution and the luck of having more
then one solution.

Did you know that the critics came frome Basile the author of
coedit, another ide made especially for the programming language
D. (btw thanks for that Basile ) From his point of view it must
be stupid and contra productive to build an other ide from
scratch instead of using his solution.

One reason is to have an IDE written in D itself because that
gives D- Programmers more freedom to improve or change things up
to their needs. An other important thing is that dlangide uses
other D libraries like dlangui and so help to improve that stuff
too. So you see there is an reason and direction for dlangide.

Vadim did a great job so far, so i am sure dlangide will stay
with us a long long time. Hopefully some day Basile will see that
it was an good idea to create dlangide and maybe people start
telling him they want to have features known from the dlangide in
coedit. Maybe someday you will get your sandwich, made by some
Robot controlled by program written in D by using the dlangide.

Kind regards keywan