Why lack of good IDE doesn't peek your attention

Gru via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 18 03:48:21 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 17 August 2017 at 23:49:54 UTC, SamwiseFilmore wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 04:27:28 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 01:32:30 UTC, Sergey Orlov wrote:
>>
>>> Just would like to ask where people write code?
>>
>> With Java, I can't get by without an IDE anymore, but with D I
>> just don't need one. I feel they actually get in my way.
>> Sublime Text and Visual Studio Code do just fine.
>
> Amen.
>
> I feel like IDE's like IntelliJ or Visual Studio allow the
> programmer to write programs TOO conveniently, besides them
> being quite overblown. In a lot of cases, you can autocomplete
> your way through the API, and end up with a large piece of
> source code that you don't understand, because you didn't write
> it. Your IDE did. I use atom with syntax highlighting and a
> terminal. Dub has a very nice and concise CLI that makes it
> really convenient to use, and it does everything I need and
> then some for a build system. Work is going on to get better
> autocomplete and inline error checking for atom, but even that
> makes me a tiny bit nervous about code quality. In general, I
> don't believe in using these huge tools because they turn an
> engineer into an end-user.
>
> There is a really good lecture that was given at DConf 2017 by
> Scott Meyers. I recommend you listen to the whole thing, but he
> has a section on tooling, which begins at 25:15 in this video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT46MpK39rQ
> That addresses concerns about C++ mainly, but also shines some
> light on places where D excels and where it doesn't.

The talk mentioned is neither pro-tooling not counter-tooling. In
fact, the takeaway can be "make your language easily tool-able so
you don't have to write complex tools yourself".

I simply cannot agree with a point above. Because you have
autocomplete does not mean you don't understand the API. I don't
even know how would you ever write code without understanding the
API.
My take is those archaic tools turn a programmer into a typist.
If anyone is using a CLI or vim or whatever does not make him any
better then someone using a GUI and an IDE.
Focusing on tiring ceremony does not make one a better engineer.
We are always working with software layers, and so we are end
users of something. The best decision is working on the layer
that is most appropriate. Sometimes it's low-level, sometimes
it's high level.