Why lack of good IDE doesn't peek your attention

Jerry via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 8 07:55:09 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 7 February 2017 at 15:48:43 UTC, SC wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm a long time lurker, i always wanted to learn a system
> language ( i'm currently using Java/Kotlin/C# )
>
> But the problem i got with D is the lack of IDE, when you
> program in Java or C# everyday, you understand why good IDE
> support is essential to be productive, and to learn new things
> thanks to IDE features such as inspections
>
> Even Rust have great IDE support with IntelliJ, same for
> Haskell, same for Go
>
> I see people creating their own ide, or rely on code editors
> like vs code / atom / sublime
>
> I find this really counter productive, not because they are bad
> or uncomplete, because people don't want to use other tools,
> for some people they use one IDE for all their projects
> (IntelliJ suite cover all rube/pyton/html/js/c#/java/go/c/c++)
>
> Guys, it's time to focus on IDE support, it's even in the road
> map of rust https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/02/06/roadmap.html
>
> Good IDE support that everyone use (IntelliJ or VS, IntelliJ
> would be best candidate since it's crossplatform, that's why
> Rust and Go choosed it) will be a huge boost for the language
> adoption IMO
>
> I'm currently learning Rust, and having a great intellij plugin
> helped me a lot to learn it, and i feel comfortable with it,
> but i'm dropping it because i don't like the language syntax
>
> So guys i hope you'll think about this and put all effort in
> one IDE to make sure newbies can get their hand on D easily
>
> It's hard for me to explain since my english is really bad
>
> Thanks

Well it doesn't look like rust is actually supporting an ide
itself. It is just providing the tools that run in the background
that then someone else can use to integrate with an IDE. The
intellij rust plugin looks to be run by people that are just
doing it in their free time. So rust didn't really choose
Intellij by the looks of it. There was also someone who was
working on an Intellij plugin for D but it doesn't seem like they
are working on it that much anymore.
https://github.com/kingsleyh/DLanguage