VisualD can't build x64, Internal error: backend\mscoffobj.c 2016

ParticlePeter via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 21 02:50:34 PDT 2017

On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 19:00:04 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> -c tells dmd to just compile, not link. Pretty strange that
> this might make a difference during object file generation
> (that's what mscoffobj.c does).
>
> You might reduce the error a bit by switching to "single file
> compilation".

I tried all settings under 'Configuration Properties -> General
-> Compilation'

Combined compile and link: Exactly what I was asking for, removes
the -c flag and lets dmd invoke the proper linker. Resulting
executable works flawlessly.

Single file compilation: (as you suggested) does not compile as a
specific module could not be found. Path to that module is NOT in
the search paths listed, however, the module IS in the Solution
Explorer tree. Shouldn't that be enough for visuald to include it
in the compilation process? Moreover shouldn't 'Combined compile
and link' have the same issue? Anyway, after adding the path
manually the build and link went through and the executable works.

Separate compile and link / Compile only: both mscoffobj.c error.

> Or try dustmite to reduce the error (see
> http://rainers.github.io/visuald/visuald/DustMite.html).

Don't get dustmite working, immediately after invoking it
complains about the first module (first in single file
compilation and first listed in solution explorer):
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process.

I made sure that no other processes are running, in particular
ST3 with DCD.

Anyway my issue is sufficiently solved, I can work with that. But
if you still want to look into it I am happy to assist.