Build every time and cannot debug VD2017

StarGrazer via Digitalmars-d-ide digitalmars-d-ide at puremagic.com
Sun Mar 26 10:47:51 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 26 March 2017 at 15:42:33 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> On 26.03.2017 08:38, StarGrazer wrote:
>> I just upgraded to visual studio 2017 and reinstalled latest
>> Visual D.
>> When I hit start, the project is built every time rather than
>> building
>> only when changed. This did not happen before as it would only
>> build
>> with a source change. Any ideas?
>>
>> The build issue is that
>> test.exe not up to date: link dependency file Win32\Debug
>> DMD\test.lnkdep does not exist
>>
>> https://forum.dlang.org/post/m2jb43$bbj$1@digitalmars.com
>
> VS2017 support is still work in progress. I suspect something
> changed for the tracker tool supplied by VS.
>
> If you don't need perfect dependency tracking you can disable
> "monitor linker dependencies" in the global options.

Ok, this solved that problem for now. I guess for more complex
projects it could become an issue?

>> Also, The debugger is not working. It simply runs without ever
>> hitting a
>> breakpoint. Worked fine in VS2015. This only happens with x64
>> build. x86
>> does hit the BP. I've tried the three debugger versions.
>>

>> These issues seem to be related solely to visual studio 2017
>> as I was
>> using 2015 before with latest Visual D and did not have these
>> problems.
>> Nothing really changed except installing 2017. I guess it
>> might be a
>> compatibility problem but only real issues I have experiences
>> is what I
>> have described above(but these were out of the box issues, I
>> have not
>> used it much to notice any others).
>>

> Are you using the VS debugger or mago? The latter should not
> change between VS versions.

I tried all 3. The BP's are simply not hit in x64. This suggests
it is a VS2017 and Visual D issue only for x64. Not sure what the
diff would be.

Again, the problem does not persist when going to x86 mode so it
is something pretty specific with x64.

Thanks.