Visual D 0.48-beta1

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Mon Oct 8 17:55:20 UTC 2018

On 08/10/2018 17:16, James Japherson wrote:
> Basically I'm having lots of problems with 0.48.
>
> 1. I get that one error about the stack constantly. Usually happens when
> I hit '.' but sometimes not.

I can reproduce with a combination of "static foreach" and "tupleof", I
hope we can find a solution.

> 2. error messages are pointing to lines below the actual error. Was very
> confusing to have D say the error is at line x when it is at line x - 3.

I don't see this. If the error reported in the output window is already
wrong, it is the compiler to blaim. Visual D doesn't modify the output.

I see a one line offset with "Find References", though. (And a crash :-/ )

> 3. Not all debug symbols are showing in locals. foreach does not allow
> one to see symbols outside it, all kinds of problems here.

That happens if the foreach body is translated to a delegate literal. It
should not be new to this version of Visual D and very much depends on
the compiler generated debug info.

> 4. I tried downgrading to 0.46 which was working find yesterday and now
> it gives me an error about not being able to find user32.lib. Upgrading
> back to 0.47 fixes the user32.lib

I suspect this happened due to some changes to the default library
search paths, that are migrated upwards, but not downwards with 0.47 IIRC.

> So far 0.47 seems to be the best of 0.46 and 0.48. I haven't used it
> enough to know though.
>
> Not sure what happened but 0.48 has become unusable. All kinds of minor
> problems.
>
> Hopefully it is just a simple fix!

Let's hope so. Thanks for reporting.