Linking issues VisualD generated vs Dub generated projects

Alex AJ at gmail.com
Fri May 17 01:00:38 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 16 May 2019 at 21:06:02 UTC, ShadoLight wrote:
> On Thursday, 16 May 2019 at 06:31:10 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> Sorry for the late reply, I've been travelling and been busy
>> otherwise.
>
> Np. I fully appreciate it was D Conf happening over the same
> time period.
>>

> [snip]
>
>> You should not add these library paths, these are automatic
>> fallback for dmd if it doesn't find a VS installation.
>>
> Ok, noted.
>
>> Instead you should install any Windows SDK (e.g. the one that
>> comes with the VS installer). I've recently updated the
>> installation documentation to that respect.
>>
> I actually do have the VS SDK installed - my VS2015
> (Professional) shows installed under 'Universal Windows App
> Development Tools' that 'Tools (1.4.1) and Windows 10 SDK
> (10.0.1393)' is installed. I did not install the 2 earlier
> Windows 10 SDK versions also available on the VS2015 media..
>
> I wonder ... I've recently uninstalled VS2010 and installed
> VS2015.... maybe I have some legacy VS2010 artifacts
> (environmental vars, paths, etc) lying around, which are
> causing problems for DMD. I'll have a look.
>
> [snip]
>
>> Again, wrong libraries. The import libs in the mingw folder
>> are for the VS2010 runtime, not anything newer.
>>
> Ok, noted.
>

>> I guess you had a Windows SDK installed then.
>>
> Yes, but I uninstalled the previous one along with VS2010. And
> then reinstalled the later version bundled with VS2015.
>
> Once again, thanks for the assistance - as well as for VisualD!

I recently installed 2019 and everything worked. I uninstalled
everything I had related to VS before that.

You can use something like process monitor to figure out what
files it is looking for. Usually this is a path issue. I had it
once.

You could uninstall everything VS related if it's not too much
trouble and start from scratch and try to get a very basic
working case then add back in whatever else you need until it
breaks.

What I've noticed is that VS loves to install a bunch of SDK's
and eventually are not needed and this can cause some problems. I
saved about 25GB of space uninstalling all the built up junk over
the years even with VS2019 installed(it was 50GB total).