Visual D 0.51.0-beta1: DMD based semantic engine

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sat Nov 30 08:59:09 UTC 2019

On 28/11/2019 16:51, AlphaPurned wrote:
> On Sunday, 17 November 2019 at 18:11:29 UTC, Rainer Schuetze wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just released a new beta version of Visual D, see
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/visuald/releases/tag/v0.51.0-beta1
>>
>> The most important new feature: a semantic engine based on the DMD
>> frontend. You can enable it with the respective option on the global
>> TextEditor->D->"Intellisense" options page.
>>
>> I think it already works quite well for browsing source code, but I
>> haven't yet worked too much on code completion.
>>
>> Some known issues:
>>
>> - dmdserver.exe eats a lot of memory, you might want to kill the
>> process from time to time.
>>

> Why not monitor the amount it is using and how much to the total and
> kill it automatically? or could it be killed for every compilation just
> in case to prevent out of memory errors if the free memory is not
> significant. Not sure if there is some good option here but it should be
> automatable for the most part.

That could be a strategy but the actual goal is to find out why the
frontend holds on to so much memory.

The server process is using the precise GC in a 64-bit process (but with
limited type information as the way memory is allocated throws away some
of that info), so false pointers shouldn't occur too often. I have found
a number of stale pointers already, but there seem to be more.