FreeBSD port

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Wed Aug 28 10:57:54 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 28 August 2013 at 11:27:40 UTC, Jacob Carlborg
wrote:
> On 2013-08-28 10:13, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> Thanks for the suggestion, but no, we can't – DMD emits custom
>> bracketing symbols for the TLS section, which we can't do (at
>> least
>> without messing with backend to a point where we can't use the
>> standard
>> LLVM tools like llc/… anymore).
>
> So how much different is the FreeBSD code compared to the Linux
> code in this case?

I don't really have any experience with FreeBSD internals at all,
so I can't really judge the situation, but if the BSD libc
allocates TLS variables for new threads the same as the GNU libc
does (i.e. at the start of the new stack), then it is potentially
very little difference (as the ELF section iteration mechanism
also seems to be supported).

I don't think this will be an extremely hard issue to solve, but
it depends on somebody actually spending some time on this (and
for myself, a 2.063-based release, Linux shared libraries, and
the Win32 wrong code bugs seem more important, given that FreeBSD
is a pretty niche OS…)

David