LDC for Windows

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Mon Dec 2 03:11:00 PST 2013

On Monday, 2 December 2013 at 08:03:03 UTC, Mike wrote:
> David Nadlinger's talk at DConf 2013 stated that Windows
> support wasn't quite there, but I couldn't determine if he was
> referring to compiling for Windows, or running on Windows, or
> both.

I was referring only to compiling _for_ Windows in the talk, and
that situation has improved quite a bit since DConf. As far as
MinGW/Win32 goes, the only thing really missing at this point is
a CI slave and a bit of work to eliminate the remaining test
suite failures.

As far as running LDC on Windows goes, I don't know of any
remaining limitations. What bugged us for a while is the
unavailability of 80 bit floating point operations in the
Microsoft C runtime, but at least when building with MinGW, this
should be solved by now. Maybe Kai can tell you more about the
situation with MSVC builds.

With regards to cross-compiling for ARM, one thing we notably
don't do yet is using the target floating point semantic for
'real', etc. during compile-time function evaluation. Whether
this is a problem or not is a subject of debate – for the time
being, just keep in mind that the CTFE results might be
calculated with a higher precision than during runtime on the
target hardware.

David