TLS for iOS - how to proceed

Dan Olson zans.is.for.cans at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 09:08:58 PDT 2014

Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> writes:

> On 2014-04-04 18:57, Dan Olson wrote:
>
>> Apple recommends that iPhone apps don't make use of threads directly and
>> use Grand Central Dispatch to manage concurrency. It may be that a
>> non-TLS version of D for iOS will work just fine for most uses.
>
> That might be fine for iOS specific code. But libraries not target
> specifically for iOS my expect TLS to be available, since that's what
> D supports.

Do you think having an option to disable TLS in D is not good then?  I
would put our warning for each variable that should have been a thread
local.

BTW Jacob, I started using DStep to translate some of the iPhone SDK
headers, like CoreFoundation.framework for use in sample iOS apps.  Has
anybody already done this and put in in repo somewhere?  I don't want to
be redoing what someone else has done.  I am looking forward to when
Objective-C support is in D as I am just using objc_msgSend directly
now.  I wonder how much work it will be to get into LDC.
--
Dan