SPARC Solaris Support

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Mon Mar 24 13:38:09 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 12:11:44 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
> Hi Per!
>
> On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 09:39:10 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
>> Does LDC have sparc solaris backend support?
>>
>> I'm trying to make my company use D and we have a bunch of
>> legacy
>> machines that unfortunately run on sparc-solaris 2.10.
>>
>> /Per
>
> LLVM can generate code for sparc-v8/v9. I don't know how good
> this support is. I also think there is no dedicated support in
> druntime. You have to simply try it.
>
> One of the problems here is that it is not easy to get access
> to a sparc-solaris machine, otherwise I would already have done
> it.
Nowadays, you can rent out all kinds of exotic hardware online.
Googling for "sparc zone vps," I get two results, although the
second one doesn't give much RAM for the developer plan:

http://www.thoughtwave.com/index.php/services/solaris/solaris-sparc-zones
http://www.net5.com.au/hosting/zones

If Per wants to use ldc and can't give you access to his
company's machines, maybe he can rent out one of those zones and
give you access and a bounty for a sparc port.  Alex already put
in a fair amount of Solaris/x86 support into dmd and druntime.

Now if I could only find an ARM vps... ;)