Survey: Can we drop support for LLVM versions prior to 3.5?

David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 11 12:02:31 PDT 2015

On 04/10/2015 07:56 AM, Kai Nacke via digitalmars-d-ldc wrote:
> If no one objects then the plan would be that the next major release is
> the last one which can be compiled with LLVM 3.1-3.4.

As the one who instigated this, I obviously agree.

One thing to keep in mind is that supporting old version requires quite
a bit of effort on our side too, and arguably for no good reason. You
can always build a local copy LLVM as part of the LDC build process
which you don't even need to keep around after linking the LDC
executable (if you use static linking).  In fact, this is exactly how
the LDC release packages are built.

  — David