LDC build procedure [was: Re: std.net.curl and ldc v1.0.0+]

David Nadlinger via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 15 13:48:09 PDT 2016

On Saturday, 15 October 2016 at 19:22:42 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> Third, is it possible that the use of a pre-built LLVM could be
> affecting things?  Are there parts of LLVM used in LDC's
> druntime, particularly related to the GC?

It shouldn't affect druntime directly any more than any other
code (i.e. only through any potential codegen issues). The reason
why we build LLVM from source is just one of reproducibility –
several years ago now, we had seen a number of issues with broken
distro packages, and it seemed prudent to build the binary
packages with something entirely under our control.

> Fourth, are there any known issues related to the
> libc/libstdc++ version and druntime?  Is there a reason why you
> didn't backport gcc 5 for building LDC?

I believe it was simply the latest available version at the time,
or maybe the oldest one required by LLVM (after switching to
C++11, etc.). For the binary packages, the main goal is maximum
compatibility, so we build on an old Ubuntu version – although,
of course, these issues have been somewhat alleviated by linking
glibc statically now.

There are no known issues with particular runtime versions, and
if there were, we would try to work around them as well as
possible.

  — David