LDC asserts cause win32 exception

Mike B Johnson via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Wed Apr 19 14:26:52 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 at 16:24:41 UTC, kinke wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 at 16:10:47 UTC, Mike B Johnson
> wrote:
>> using an assert and LDC causes a wierd unknown exception in
>> windows using latest ldc's. In dmd the asserts simply error
>> and show the message but in ldc they give a kernel error and
>> no way to know what has gone wrong.
>
> More details please (target architecture, LDC version, Visual
> Studio/WinSDK version, 'kernel error'...). Wrt. 'no way to know
> what has gone wrong': attaching a debugger may be enlightening.
> ;)
> With LDC 1.2, we now generate a backtrace for each exception,
> so I'm guessing that's causing your problems, but without
> further details, I can only speculate.

Windows, latest ldc x86 as I said(whatever is on the d/l page). I
tried multiple versions.

I did attach a debugger. As I said, it happened on an assert.
Instead of telling me the assert error(e.g., assert("This is an
error");) it gives a kernel error(unhandled win32 exception or
whatever). DMD gives the assert error correctly on the same code.
Either ldc is crashing in the assert or it simply isn't asserting
it correctly.