LDC 1.1.0 released

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 23 09:52:38 PST 2017

On Thursday, 23 February 2017 at 16:30:47 UTC, Sai wrote:
> I am not sure how to download the prebuilt from GitHub, I am
> not good at navigating the GitHub pages yet. I already verified
> the snap, if you can give me a link to the pre-built on Github,
> I will download and test it on my PC.

I don't think the GitHub prebuilt 1.1.1 packages are available
yet.  You can check the list of releases (and corresponding
downloads) here:
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/releases

> Thank you (and David) for fixing this very promptly.

David did all the fixes, I just tested them out to make sure they
worked ;-)

> Just a stupid question:  Which one is preferred as a user? Snap
> version or the prebuilt version on Github? Personally I don't
> mind as long as the download/install instructions are clear.
> But It seems to me that snap is supposed to be more user
> friendly. So may be snaps are preferred for non-experts like me?

It's not at all a stupid question.

The easy answer is, "Whichever you prefer as a user."  The
slightly more complicated answer is that the snap packages are
quite a recent effort which is still somewhat work-in-progress.
The current snap package is in the --edge snap channel (as in,
'bleeding edge') for a reason. ;-)

However, in practice, as an Ubuntu user, it is likely to be just
as effective for you, and certainly easier to install and keep up
to date.  So if that works nicely for you, there's no reason you
shouldn't continue to use it.

If you do that, though, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for
announcements related to the snap package, since its status may
change fairly often in the near future.  You can also report any
compilation problems you encounter here:
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc2.snap/issues