Add targets for release binaries? (1.3+)

Adrian Matoga via digitalmars-d-ldc digitalmars-d-ldc at puremagic.com
Fri May 5 01:52:48 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 30 April 2017 at 15:44:50 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2017, at 9:23, Adrian Matoga via digitalmars-d-ldc
> wrote:
>> Moreover, "ARM" alone doesn't mean anything in this context.
>> The sheer number of platforms using different ABIs,
>> architecture versions, library versions and configurations
>> makes it virtually impossible to even build druntime and
>> Phobos in a way that they could later be at least linked
>> correctly for all ARM-based platforms.
>>
>> That being said, having binary packages that work
>> out-of-the-box for a few popular targets, such as Raspbian,
>> Android and OS X, wouldn't be a bad thing.
>
> True. But as you mention, there are a couple of popular
> targets. For example, Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch/… all have an
> armhf distribution which targets ARMv7 without NEON. A binary
> package for that would already cover a huge portion of people
> just looking to try out LDC on their ARM dev board. (RP1 is of
> course its own thing, unfortunately.)

Yeah, GDC has a binary release for cross-compiling to armhf,
which works well for RPi (including v1) out of the box. It's
really a huge time saver.

What I miss the most in LDC is the ability to build and use
druntime/Phobos for different targets (including subtargets, e.g.
different ARM architecture versions and ABIs) with the same
compiler. I'd like to add it myself, but I don't really know
where to start. Perhaps it's an idea to be discussed at this
DConf's hackathon.