ldc2 Windows

kinke kinke at libero.it
Tue Oct 16 17:34:41 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 at 16:43:38 UTC, Carl Sturtivant
wrote:
> Can't find any Windows specific docs for ldc2.
>
> I want to know which environment variables specific to Windows
> ldc2 listens to so as to find the linker and libs so as to
> speed up linking by not searching for a Visual Whatever
> installation every time.

The LDC package contains a README.txt. Quoting: 'If run in a 'VS
Native/Cross Tools Command Prompt' (i.e., if the environment
variable VSINSTALLDIR is set), LDC skips the Visual C++
detection.'

Spawning a new VS command prompt ('shell', cmd.exe with env
variables set up by the MS batch file) and invoking LDC in that
shell is the preferred way of skipping that ~1-second linking
overhead, at least that's how I do things all the time.
If for whatever reason you don't want all of those MS env
variables, you'll just need VSINSTALLDIR to prevent LDC from
autodetecting and then the env variables expected by the MS
linker (LIB and LIBPATH may be enough, I don't remember).