Calling external programs from D

Tydr Schnubbis fake at address.dude
Tue Apr 18 18:57:44 PDT 2006

Tydr Schnubbis wrote:
> Regan Heath wrote:
>> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:46:09 +0000 (UTC), Stuart Delaney
>> <Stuart_member at pathlink.com> wrote:
>>> There's a bug in the makeBlock functions in process.d. The first
>>> parameter to
>>> calloc should be 1 not 0. With that change (and the private readLine
>>> one) it
>>> works fine for me.  Don't have an answer to the OP's DNS problem though.
>>
>> You're dead right. With those changes it works for me too.
>
> I've fixed the calloc calls too, but it doesn't help.  If I try to ping
> google's IP, which is 64.233.167.99 according to ping, I get "Pinging
> Error: 4invalid UTF-8 sequence".  Maybe my windows installation is
> screwed, it's getting really old...
>
> Btw, I use dmd 0.148, haven't tried this with any other version yet.
Could it be that CreateProcessA is used wrong somehow?  I don't know the
win32 api, but does anyone know if using it wrong (security settings or
sth) could block new process from accessing the network?  Where would I
start looking if I want to fix this?  The msdn docs didn't help much.
Couldn't even find mention of this function, only CreateProcess, without
the trailing 'A'.  But it seems to be the same function.

Here's what the call looks like:
CreateProcessA(null,std.string.toStringz(command),null,null,true,DETACHED_PROCESS,env,null,&startup,info)