std.socket Error: Too many open files.

Morgan McDermott morganmcdermott at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:49:08 PST 2006

Hi all,
  I've found a limitation in my current setup as far as sockets go; once
I've  made about 500 transactions on different sockets between my test
client and test server, I receive the error "Error: Unable to create
socket. Too many open files." After I'm done with a socket I always shut
it down and close it.. I assume this is some sort of operating-system
specific limitation, but the explanation on std.socket.close (
"Immediately drop any connections and release socket resources" ) seems
to state that any file handles would be closed upon calling
Socket.close(). Is there a large delay between the close()'ing and the
release of resources, or am I overlooking something else simple and obvious?

Thank you for your time,
  ~Morgan McDermott