English binary logic operators

antonio antonio at abrevia.net
Thu Nov 23 13:37:25 PST 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:

> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>> ummmm .. mathematicians use more complicated symbols and notations than
>> programmers.
>
> It's funny; but the early programming languages were designed by
> mathematicians.  Trust me, if they'd been able to use ∧ for and, and ∨
> for or, they would have :)  On a few systems, they actually *did*.  I
> think programmers use "simpler" notation simply because we're limited to
> what we can bang out on a keyboard, and mathematicians aren't.
>
> (In fact, mathematicians seem to *love* inventing new symbols: the guy
> who invented lambda calculus originally wanted to introduce a new
> symbol.  But when it was sent off to be published, the typesetter
> mistook his new symbol for a lambda (λ), and it kinda stuck :P)
>
> Incidentally, I think the symbols used in mathematics are better if
> they're available since they're pretty unique, and stand out even
> better.  An interesting thing to try is writing up some CWEB code: it
> converts all the &&s and ||s to ∧s and ∨s in the TeX documentation :3

>> I actually like symbols in code because they stand out right away.
>> I always prefer {braces} to begin/end.
>> At the same time, I hate too many symbols too close to each other.
>
> I prefer using names if the names are short and meaningful.  It makes
> code that little less cryptic.  As long as you don't end up with insane
> symbols like #!@$? actually *meaning* something, it all works either way.
>
> Similarly, one of the reasons I hate Java is because
> everyIdentifierIsACompleteAndGrammaticallyCorrectSentence
> .justBecauseTheyCan(andItMakesWritingLongExpressionsInJava
> .aTotalPainInTheArse)
>
> Ah well, each to their own, I suppose.
>
> 	-- Daniel

Ok...
  A good idea could be providing a equivalencies file to the compiler
(source + equivalencies), because I prefer to use "y" instead "and".
"o" instead "or", "para" instead "for", "mientras" instead "while",
"inicio" instead "begin", "final" instead "end" ...

Really:  Why you introduce the "prevalence" of english over other
languages like spanish or catalan or french or italian or... when you
have a really universal algebra?

Sorry:  I'm not nationalist... but I disagree you when you think only on
english people.

Antonio