English binary logic operators

Samuel MV samuel at jxdesigner.com
Fri Nov 24 00:30:40 PST 2006


Antonio, I'm also spanish and I think would be a big problem to allow 
that: how are you going to share your code? how are you going to work 
with people from other countries or different language? In the Internet 
english is the lingua franca.

English has advantages, like its words usually are shorter, it's spoken 
by most programmers (from all the countries), and there're zillions of 
code written in that language.

In fact, when I'm coding I write whole my programs in english (doc, 
comments, debug code, etc.), I often work with the english keyboard 
layout (because the symbols are better placed), all my programming books 
are in english (most translations sucks!!!), ... for me, programming in 
spanish would be 'unnatural' and annoying when I mix programming languages.

Best regards,

           Samuel.


antonio escribiˇ:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>>
>> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>>> ...
>>> ummmm .. mathematicians use more complicated symbols and notations than
>>> programmers.
>>
>> It's funny; but the early programming languages were designed by
>> mathematicians.  Trust me, if they'd been able to use ∧ for and, and 
>> ∨
>> for or, they would have :)  On a few systems, they actually *did*.  I
>> think programmers use "simpler" notation simply because we're limited to
>> what we can bang out on a keyboard, and mathematicians aren't.
>>
>> (In fact, mathematicians seem to *love* inventing new symbols: the guy
>> who invented lambda calculus originally wanted to introduce a new
>> symbol.  But when it was sent off to be published, the typesetter
>> mistook his new symbol for a lambda (╬╗), and it kinda stuck :P)
>>
>> Incidentally, I think the symbols used in mathematics are better if
>> they're available since they're pretty unique, and stand out even
>> better.  An interesting thing to try is writing up some CWEB code: it
>> converts all the &&s and ||s to ∧s and ∨s in the TeX documentation :3
>>
>>> ...
>>> I actually like symbols in code because they stand out right away.
>>> I always prefer {braces} to begin/end.
>>> At the same time, I hate too many symbols too close to each other.
>>
>> I prefer using names if the names are short and meaningful.  It makes
>> code that little less cryptic.  As long as you don't end up with insane
>> symbols like #!@$? actually *meaning* something, it all works either way.
>>
>> Similarly, one of the reasons I hate Java is because
>> everyIdentifierIsACompleteAndGrammaticallyCorrectSentence
>> .justBecauseTheyCan(andItMakesWritingLongExpressionsInJava
>> .aTotalPainInTheArse)
>>
>> Ah well, each to their own, I suppose.
>>
>>     -- Daniel
>>
> Ok...
>  A good idea could be providing a equivalencies file to the compiler 
> (source + equivalencies), because I prefer to use "y" instead "and". "o" 
> instead "or", "para" instead "for", "mientras" instead "while", "inicio" 
> instead "begin", "final" instead "end" ...
> 
> 
> Really:  Why you introduce the "prevalence" of english over other 
> languages like spanish or catalan or french or italian or... when you 
> have a really universal algebra?
> 
> 
> Sorry:  I'm not nationalist... but I disagree you when you think only on 
> english people.
> 
> Antonio



More information about the Digitalmars-d-learn mailing list