GPU's as floating point coprocessors

nobody_ spam at spam.spam
Sun Oct 8 14:15:56 PDT 2006

> Hmm.  It sounds pretty much like OpenMP.
> http://www.openmp.org/drupal/
>
> --bb

I might be wrong, but as far as I can see OpenMP doesn't  use the gpu.

Using the gpu as a coprocessor isn't that difficult though, just find code
which can be done faster through the gpu pipelines.
Reading through the opengl redbook might give you some clues as to which
kind of operations you should be looking.
Translate the problem 'graphically' et voila profit.

I intent to use the gpu for parts of the AI in my upcoming games(just wait
another year or so :)

But yes, it would be nice to have a project going which would setup
everything (in opengl) and have some basic functions which would be done by
the gpu. It shouldn't even be too difficult to let opengl stay your main
device for screen output :D