SDL and a 'proper' forum

Daniel White twinbee40 at skytopia.com
Sun Sep 3 18:53:13 PDT 2006

Hi there,

Thanks Derek and everyone else for your replies.

>> Rather than an IDE, I would prefer to use my own text editor such as
>> EditPlus to compile.

>Me too ;-)

Hehe. It's the small things that count sometimes. A shame I can't
have the best of both worlds though, as IDEs can have useful stuff
like quick navigation to functions.

> Do I have to worry about things like using a
> makefile, or don't headers exist in D? It would be nice for an
> approach where all the info is self-contained in each file, and I can
> just 'include' other .d files easily in that same file (no headers).
> However, if so, how does the compiler intelligently know not to
> recompile already compiled files?

The D compiler, as supplied by DigitalMars, does not have this facility.
use DMD, you need to explicitly specify each of the files you need
compiling and linking.

>However, there is a tool that I'm supporting that does the
'intelligence'
>aspect. You can check it out at http://www.dsource.org/projects/build
for
>details. But in essence, once you have it you just enter
>

> build <mainfile>
>
>at the command line prompt.

Excellent! That's just the kind of thing I was hoping for. Is it
possible
to forget having to declare function headers above all the functions
like
one usually does in C?

>> Finally, it would be nice for this site to operate a 'normal' forum
>> like phpBB. You can split the forum into topics, and there can be
>> threads and such. How about it?

>Your normal is my abnormal ;-)

Lol, I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I can even post at
all ;)

Seriously though, you may have just converted me. However, not everyone
will
be like us. We may be losing people to the language because of this.
However,
rather than add a separate forum, so people have a choice (and
thus split the community), this is what I propose:

Why can't there be a 'database' of comments, each which can be fed to
a newsreader like you have, and also to a dynamic forum generated by the
web site (like phpBB style). This way, we get the best of all worlds -
each
person gets their choice of forum interface, and we all get the game
messages, so there's no community split.

> In my opinion, phpBB and the like are useful for people who
> avoid sophistication. ;-)

Lol :P (quickly and quietly takes the forum from his own site down ;)

Cheers, Daniel
www.skytopia.com