SDL and a 'proper' forum

Derek Parnell derek at psyc.ward
Fri Sep 1 19:15:11 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 00:46:23 +0000 (UTC), Daniel White wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm a relative newbie to C/C++, but I am interested in learning D
> because of its supposed merits over the aforementioned.

Welcome. There is much knowledge here, so feel free to call upon it.

There are projects around these tools. Check out http://www.dsource.org/

> Rather than an IDE, I would prefer to use my own text editor such as
> EditPlus to compile.

Me too ;-)

> Do I have to worry about things like using a
> makefile, or don't headers exist in D? It would be nice for an
> approach where all the info is self-contained in each file, and I can
> just 'include' other .d files easily in that same file (no headers).
> However, if so, how does the compiler intelligently know not to
> recompile already compiled files?

The D compiler, as supplied by DigitalMars, does not have this facility. To
use DMD, you need to explicitly specify each of the files you need
compiling and linking.

However, there is a tool that I'm supporting that does the 'intelligence'
aspect. You can check it out at http://www.dsource.org/projects/build for
details. But in essence, once you have it you just enter

  build <mainfile>

at the command line prompt.

> Finally, it would be nice for this site to operate a 'normal' forum
> like phpBB. You can split the forum into topics, and there can be
> threads and such. How about it?

Your normal is my abnormal ;-) If you use a half-decent newsreader tool it
can have 'topics' and 'threads' and many more things that web-based forums
seem to lack. In my opinion, phpBB and the like are useful for people who
avoid sophistication. ;-)

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia