Python -> Java -> D ?

Daniel Lucraft dan at fluentradical.com
Mon Apr 23 06:25:11 PDT 2007

Interesting. I'm in the same position as David, shopping for a low-level language to add to a scripting language, though it's Ruby in this case. So I tried out my first D last night, rewrote a 100 line Ruby script into a 130 line D program, and got a 10x speedup. That's a good combination of expressiveness and speed.

Jarrett Billingsley Wrote:
> Exactly.. if nothing else, learning C will give you an appreciation of the
> simplicity and expressiveness that things like garbage collection lend to D.

OTOH what you say is true, and C is a good fit for Ruby, like Python. Also, if I did learn D next, that would make the languages I know Ruby, Prolog and D. Not a great job-market combination!