Q: DSSS: Library name being prefixed with S

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Wed Jun 13 21:06:47 PDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:39:19 +1000, Daniel Keep wrote:

>> Just out of interest, do you have any pointers, on hand, as to why
>> rebuild is better than bud? It does look like bud is not being developed
>> but I have not had much experience with the tools yet.
>>
>> Thanks ahead,
>>
>> Myron.
>
> One reason why I've started moving over to rebuild is -oqPATH.  This
> tells rebuild to put the intermediate object files into the PATH
> directory with fully qualified names (aka: Gregorian Notation).
>
> The problem with bud is that, if I remember correctly, you either put
> the object files with the source files (which sticks them all over the
> bloody place), or all in one directory where you can get name clashes.

A side effect of doing the -oqPATH is that is causes multiple runs of DMD,
because DMD only knows how to write object files out to either the source
file location or the location named on the -od switch. To have object files
each placed in a separate location other than the source location means one
has to run DMD separately for each source file (or at least for each unique
source location).

I have yet to workout why placement of object files is of such a critical
issue. An object file is an intermediate file. It is used to either create
an executable or a library, and then discarded. On rare occasions is can be
retained to inspect the output machine code of the compiler, but why worry
about where it lives. It will be discarded eventually.

In Bud, I've chosen to reduce the number of calls to DMD instead of
concerning myself about where to place temporary files. However, if this is
really an issue I can have Bud call DMD multiple times for you to place
temporary files in the folder of your choice.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia