Which compiler/lib to choose?

Marcel Meyer meyerm-news01 at fs.tum.de
Fri Nov 16 04:54:12 PST 2007

Hi,

I need to write a linux network application (think of it as a proxy, sth.
like squid but specialized) and thought about using D to learn it (/me ==
beginner) while "getting my hands dirty".

The timepressure is not that high but the program needs to perform well
(throughput is important, latency shouldn't be the problem) and will still
be maintained and developed in a few (whatever that means) years. Soooo...

Is it a good idea to rely on D in this case? If yes, which compiler and lib
to choose? D 1.x seems "stable", D 2.x more futureproof. DMD is official,
GDC works "out of the box" on my Gentoo box (at least it installs...).
Phobos is official too, but Tango looks sooo nice ;-).

I appreciate highly subjective opinions and field reports!

Marcel