Which compiler/lib to choose?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Nov 16 05:16:10 PST 2007

Marcel Meyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to write a linux network application (think of it as a proxy, sth.
> like squid but specialized) and thought about using D to learn it (/me ==
> beginner) while "getting my hands dirty".
>
> The timepressure is not that high but the program needs to perform well
> (throughput is important, latency shouldn't be the problem) and will still
> be maintained and developed in a few (whatever that means) years. Soooo...
>
> Is it a good idea to rely on D in this case? If yes, which compiler and
> lib to choose? D 1.x seems "stable", D 2.x more futureproof. DMD is
> official, GDC works "out of the box" on my Gentoo box (at least it
> installs...). Phobos is official too, but Tango looks sooo nice ;-).
>
> I appreciate highly subjective opinions and field reports!
>
> Marcel

Rely on D? Should be safe enough.

Compiler? Hmm, I'd probably go for GDC on your system.

And of course Tango. Even from an "objective" POV looking at what you want
to create. Both networking and other IO throughput (both necessary for a
proxy) is very well catered for in Tango, and I'd say the interfaces are
near perfect for what you need. We'd certainly be very interested in
helping you along, just join us in #d.tango at Freenode :)

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net