Best way to "convert" a real to ireal

Carsten Sørensen cso at rift.dk
Thu Sep 13 04:20:19 PDT 2007

Hi,

With D's support for complex math I thought it would be fun to do a
Mandelbrot explorer.

It's all working fine but in the process of writing it, a few questions
popped into my head.

creal have .re and .im properties, but .im returns a real, not an ireal
as I would expect. Is there another property that will return the
imaginary part as an ireal? I can't seem to find the creal properties
documented anywhere.

Since .im returns a real I sometimes have to convert it back to an ireal.

This doesn't work, im is now zero.
---
creal c = 1.0 + 1.0i;
ireal im = cast(ireal)c.im;
---

Instead I'm doing:
---
creal c = 1.0 + 1.0i;
ireal im = c.im * 1.0i;
---

but this seems a bit clumsy... is there a better way? Or better yet, a
creal property that will actually retrieve the imaginary part as an ireal?

Thanks,
Carsten Sørensen