Tango I/O bug?

kris foo at bar.com
Mon Sep 17 22:14:32 PDT 2007

Jason House wrote:

> kris wrote:
>> Anyway, the most effective route here is simply to invoke flush()
>> explicitly, whenever you actually need to. For example:
>>
>> # outStream.format("blah blah").flush;
>

> I thought I checked to verify that formatln calls newline which calls
> flush.  I therefore concluded that an explicit flush call was useless.
> My friend had the issue, so I couldn't really test.  When I hear more
> about testing fixes, I'll post back on the list.

Well, newline *does* call flush, but only if the console has not been
redirected. This was not the case in some earlier Tango releases, but
the change was made to accommodate requests for faster throughput (flush
is very expensive on some platforms). In short, we may have caused your
app to break. Please accept my apologies, and I hope it didn't cause too
much trouble for you