Backporting

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 03:30:18 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>>
>> lurk wrote:

>>> meant to be sarcastic.
>>> 2.x is need, but nobody supports it.
>>>

>> [Silliness]
>>
>>     -- Daniel
>
> Which is exactly why cherry picking some backward-compatible features
> from 2.0 to backport makes a lot of sense.  Is that the point you were
> trying to make?
>
> --bb

No, the point was that "nobody" supports 2.0 because no-one wants to try
and support a rapidly moving target.

As for backporting; in general, I would agree.  If DMD was being written
by a team of programmers, I'd be pushing for the backporting of every
non-compatibility breaking feature that's proven to be useful.

But it's not.  It's just Walter, and Walter can only do so much in a
finite amount of time.  I would kill to have some of the 2.0 features in
1.x, but I think having a *stable* compiler is much more important.

I think that's the point *you* were making earlier :P

Incidentally, it's nice to have a non-moving language.  D 1.0 is *very*
usable at the moment, and is certainly nicer to program in than C or C++.

	-- Daniel