File by file or all files at the same time.

boyd gaboonviper at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 07:52:11 PDT 2008

If there are issues building all files at once, which I doubt, they are
bound to be solved soon. And I don't think GDC will have the same issues,
since it has a different back-end than DMD.

Like others say, how you build it it's up to you. There are several
factors that might be involved:

- Do you need fast compile times? building all files at once is probably
faster if all files need to be compiled. If only a few files need to be
recompiled then the fastest way is to compile every file seperately.

- Is memory a problem? building the files one at a time should take less
memory.

These factors usually only apply to huge programs and are pretty much
negligable otherwise.

Personally I build one file at the time. No need to compile files that
haven't changed that way. I don't like the inefficiency of building all
files, eventhough I don't think I would notice the difference in most
cases.

I'd suggest you to just pick one. Trying them both out yourself probably
takes less time than waiting for the right answer to come along here.
Since you're worried about issues that might occur with an all in one
compile, why not try one at a time.

Cheers,
Boyd.

-------