dwt compile problem

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 22:59:49 PST 2008

Ty Tower wrote:

> John I am using Linux and I downloaded what appears to be a unix version as DWT_for_D1.rar  . Now it may be a windows version ,I don't know.

Yes, that is the windows-only dwt.

> I can use either Tango or Phobos and am trying to compile each directories files in turn to get some sort of a widget type facility up and running for "D" use.

Sorry, that won't work with the package you downloaded. :(

> Now I saw the Mercurial site but after learning http,ftp,cvs,subversion etc. etc. I am not keen to have to spend the time to learn another one. They seem to be coming out monthly with new systems. I'm 62 and I want to get on with my project !!

I fully understand this and sympathize.  We need to get things cleaned
up.  The DWT project is the process of a cleanup and reorganization to
simplify (and unify) the whole DWT chain of projects.

> Damn it I suppose I will have to go there .

:(

I'm sorry that it's not so easy at the moment; the new dwt is still
early in it's development stage.  The linux version is available, but
it's likely not in a state that would meet your needs.  Although we hope
to make it so soon. :)

> Don't know of an out of the box widget program for "D" do you? I can't find one working and useable for  Linux

GtkD (also on dsource) is available... It should build and install using
dsss.

You may like to try checking into wxD which is an wxWidgets binding for D:

http://wxd.sourceforge.net/

It appears to be supported for windows, linux, and Mac OS X.

Also have a look here for a list of different GUI libraries that are or
were available for D:

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GuiLibraries

And... please keep an eye on dwt's status.  If all goes well, it should
turn into an exciting cross-platform tool for D GUI development. :)

-JJR