Issue: Installing D

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 06:16:26 PST 2008

"Chris Miller" <lordSaurontheGreat at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fpdrpn$2nqe$1 at digitalmars.com...
> I've been having some major issues for a long while now trying to install
> D.  Much of it is because of my library choices, but I don't have a choice
> as to what libraries I need.
>
> I've been working to try and get a working installation of D on my Windows
> Vista workstation.  Whether it's DMD or GDC I don't really care.  My
> biggest problem is that I need Tango, Derelect, and DDBI.  I've totally
> given up on finding an IDE by now.
>
> I've been following the instructions online to the letter (the ones on
> digitalmars.com) and they keep throwing me grief.  The DInstaller project
> hasn't been good, since it installs everything to somewhere I can't find.
> I got DSSS working once, which was nice...  but then when I tried to build
> a helloworld.d file it didn't work (tried using rebuild, which is what I
> would be building larger projects with).
>
> I can provide further documentation of what I've tried if you like, though
> it's really just me hitting wall after wall after wall.
>
> Thanks for your time, and thanks in advance for any pointers or help you
> can give!

To install Derelict, I've always followed the instruction here:

http://dmedia.dprogramming.com/?n=Tutorials.SdlGlTutorial1

Which are linked to from the Derelict project page, but inexplicably not
actually _on_ the Derelict project page.  They've always worked perfectly
(the Windows install instructions).

DSSS shouldn't be _that_ hard.  It's basically

1) Unzip the DSSS zip to somewhere.
2) Add that path\bin to your PATH.

Tango's probably going to be the trickiest part.  I've got it installed but
TBH I'm not entirely sure how X(