how to install?

glen worstell glen at worstell.com
Wed Feb 20 08:53:37 PST 2008

I've spent hours trying to install d and related stuff on windows xp so I can
run the "hello world" example. The docs on the internet that I have found are
incomplete or incorrect. Walter Bright kindly replied to my emails, but he
seems not to know how to do it either. The nice book "Learning to Tango with
d" has a section on installing, but it is incorrect also. I got as far as this
error message when trying to compile:

>jake hello.d
object.d: module object cannot read file 'object.d'

same result with >dmd hello.d

I am not a newbie (except to d) and I know about paths, environment variables,
.ini files, etc. For my first test I don't care which library I use.

Could someone post a one-paragraph description of what to download, where to
put it (what directory structure, etc), what mods to make to path or sc,ini, etc?

It should not be that difficult to describe. I've installed (without help
beyond the installation instructions) and written significant programs in c,
c#, lua, python, and, long ago, several other languages.

Thanks in advance to some kind person...

g.