how to install?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 14:30:16 PST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:05:47 +0000, jcc7 wrote:

> == Quote from glen worstell (glen at worstell.com)'s article
>> Thanks, Bill, for your post re installing d.
>>
>> Of course I am "on Windows", as mentioned in my post. However, your
>> advice about spaces in the path is extremely important, if true,
>> because lots of programs normally go in "C:\Program Files\..."
>>
>> I'll want to verify that before I post my short and complete
>> instructions for newbies on installing d. This assumes that I will be
>> able to finish the "complete" part - Ary's post didn't cover what to do
>> about source files in directories other than the one where the sample
>> hello.d file is located. I also think a few words for newbies about the
>> different "standard" libraries might be in order, but I don't yet know
>> enough to comment on that.
>
> I know there's a rumor out there that there is more than one "standard"
> library. I think this is false since Phobos has always been the standard
> library.
>
> On the other hand, there are alternate runtime libraries (Tango being
> the most popular alternate runtime library).
>
> I haven't read the Tango book, so I wouldn't know much about it. Does it
> require you to install Tango to learn D? I don't know if that's the best
> way to learn D. Perhaps there's some documentation at the Tango website
> that will help you get installed and set up. That'd be great news. Also,
> you might be able to get some more information about Tango in their
> forums and through IRC:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contact
>
> But using Tango may not be the best way for a newbie to start out with
> D. It might be easier to start out learning D by learning Phobos. YYMV.

jcc7,
True Tango is not a standard library, however it has been embraced by a
large portion of the community, weather it official or not new users will
run into the same problems if it was official (in fact I think it would
be simpler if there were two official standard libraries). As for the
last point, I think Tango might be the best library for a newbie to start
out with, excluding the more difficult setup, because there is a book
teaching it.

As a side note the book only requires a tango install because it uses
Stdout for output during the D introduction portion.