Saturday night stack tracing

Jascha Wetzel firstname at mainia.de
Sun Jan 13 02:36:42 PST 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> Hi --
>
> I've been using Flectioned for stack tracing, which has been doing some
> wonderful things to me. However, the stack trace, though nice, doesn't
> show the file/line where each function is defined. This isn't a MAJOR
> problem for me, since I can report the function overload & search for
> the function based on that, however in the interests of time it might be
> nice to get the exact line the function was called on.
>
> Is there any way to do this, perhaps by using the debug info & comparing
> the call address against that somehow? I'm not too up on these things,
> but it seems like it would be possible.
>
> Thanks!

you'll need to parse the debug info that contains lists of address-range
to line number mappings. if you're interested in doing this, i can give
you the ddbg source to check out how it's done for codeview debug info.
for dwarf there is libdwarf, which appears to be pretty good. i'd
recommend looking at that before implementing a dwarf parser from scratch.