[OT]Re: Books...

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Sun May 11 10:21:09 PDT 2008

Reply to Lars,

> Well, there are quite a few successful companies which has such a
> business model in the software business, so hardly what could be
> called an experiment.
>
> All Linux distributing companies (RedHat, Suse/Novell, Canonical),
> TrollTech with Qt, mySQL (you know the thing ;), eZ (ez.no), and many
> many more.

Most of those, IIRC, have a free version and a for sale version and they
provide tech support only on the for sale one. That not quite what I was
thinking. I'm thinking, no for sale version at all. The company would just
have a donations page, and an explicit statement that donations can effect
the priority of fixing particular bugs and whatnot.