Tango / Phobos / future dilemma

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Tue May 27 12:05:02 PDT 2008

Spacen Jasset wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently I am using phobos for my work, which suit at the moment since
> I am mainly using opengl.
>
> Unfortunately I would like use a library that requires Tango, and there
> is yet another library that I would like to use that is coded for
> phobos. Since they both incorporate a core runtime I presume that this
> situation is impossible without akward workarounds?

It should be pretty trivial to support any Phobos using libraries via
Tangobos.

> Secondly, I have an uneasy feeling about the situation whereby there are
> two libraries that function independently of each other. What lies ahead
> for this state of affairs; and indeed, what is Walter's and the Tango
> team's position on it?

(Note to Spacen; the answer below is as much to others who have participated
in this thread)
Back at the conference, we agreed with Walter to have the runtimes
compatible for D 2.0, and since the differences today are more or less all
about improvements in Tango, this should be in Walter's hands. It would be
dis-corteous to our users - both commercial and open source alike - to
remove those improvements, that is degrade performance and unstabilize, for
the sake of a compatibility that can be achieved via Tangobos. FWIW, to our
knowledge, those wishing for us to comply with/use Phobos are in a very
small minority compared to those using Tango (and Tangobos which can be
claimed to be the opposite solution).

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net