Comment highlighting in Descent plugin

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 20:13:31 PST 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Why is every word in every comment underlined with a red squiggle?
> I see there's something called the "D spell checker" enabled.  Is it broken?
> Disabling spell-checking makes the problem go away (but only after I
> re-saved the file, which was rather unexpected... why should I have to
> save the file for source code display styles to take effect?)
>
> --bb

If every word in the file (including keywords, var names, etc.) are
being highlighted, you need to go to Window > Preferences > General >
Editors > Text Editors > Spelling and change "Default Spelling Engine"
to "D Spelling Engine". This will make it only highlight spelling errors
in comments & strings.

If you got that part right, but every word is still being highlighted,
it's likely because you are using non-English comments. In that case,
you need to get a dictionary for whatever language you're using. Go to
the same place (Window > Preferences > General > Editors > Text Editors
 > Spelling) and under User-defined dictionary, add a word list for your
language (the format is just a list of words, one per line -- there's
word lists like this all over the place for many different languages).

If you have all that right & are using English comments, I'm not sure
what the problem is (maybe an Eclipse version incompatibility... what
version are you using?). As for why you have to save it, you need to get
Eclipse to re-check the file. Generally, Eclipse does this either as you
type, on a rebuild, or when you save, but to save a couple processor
cycles it doesn't do this all the time.