Comment highlighting in Descent plugin

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:23:22 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Robert Fraser
<fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>>
>> Why is every word in every comment underlined with a red squiggle?
>> I see there's something called the "D spell checker" enabled.  Is it
>> broken?
>> Disabling spell-checking makes the problem go away (but only after I
>> re-saved the file, which was rather unexpected... why should I have to
>> save the file for source code display styles to take effect?)
>>
>> --bb
>
> If every word in the file (including keywords, var names, etc.) are being
> highlighted, you need to go to Window > Preferences > General > Editors >
> Text Editors > Spelling and change "Default Spelling Engine" to "D Spelling
> Engine". This will make it only highlight spelling errors in comments &
> strings.
>
> If you got that part right, but every word is still being highlighted, it's
> likely because you are using non-English comments. In that case, you need to
> get a dictionary for whatever language you're using. Go to the same place
> (Window > Preferences > General > Editors > Text Editors > Spelling) and
> under User-defined dictionary, add a word list for your language (the format
> is just a list of words, one per line -- there's word lists like this all
> over the place for many different languages).
>
> If you have all that right & are using English comments, I'm not sure what
> the problem is (maybe an Eclipse version incompatibility...

Yeh I have all that right.  My Windows default system encoding is set
to Japanese, though.  Maybe that makes a difference?  The words its
flagging are all English words.

> what version are
> you using?).

Just downloaded both Eclipse and descent today.
eclipse-cpp-ganymede-SR1-win32 is the name of the zip file.

> As for why you have to save it, you need to get Eclipse to
> re-check the file. Generally, Eclipse does this either as you type, on a
> rebuild, or when you save, but to save a couple processor cycles it doesn't
> do this all the time.

I don't really care that much about spellcheck in comments, so I'll
just turn it off for now.

--bb