"Learn to Tango with D" - The way to go?

Chris R. Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 14:53:25 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> If no one was ever dissatisfied with the way something was, nothing
> would ever improve.  D only exists because W was dissatisfied with the
> systems languages available to him at the time.  Tango exists because
> a large number of people were dissatisfied with the architecture and
> development model of Phobos.  Besides -- what allegiance do you have
> to Phobos or to Walter?  What have they done for you that you feel you
> must pay back?  Isn't better to pick and choose what you feel to be
> the best than to stick with one "brand" due to loyalty?

Personally I view continuing work with Tango as perpetuating the spirit
of D.  I also have come to the viewpoint that Phobos is more or less the
experimental library and that Tango is used for the more stable releases.

So Phobos is used to develop the language, and Tango is used to develop
programs.

My $0.02, at least.  I haven't been here long (coming up on nine
months), so my perception of the status quo is ever changing.