"Learn to Tango with D" - The way to go?

Chris R. Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 14:58:06 PDT 2008

AEon wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>
>>> I have to admit I "have mixed feelings" about Tango, because my about 5K
>>> lines of code used Phobos, and Phobos is the original standard lib
>>> that came
>>> with D. So I feel like a traitor using or thinking  about using Tango.
>>> Strange that Kris Bell should "turn his back on Phobos" by promoting
>>> Tango
>>> in a book.
>>
>> If no one was ever dissatisfied with the way something was, nothing
>> would ever improve.  D only exists because W was dissatisfied with the
>> systems languages available to him at the time.  Tango exists because
>> a large number of people were dissatisfied with the architecture and
>> development model of Phobos.  Besides -- what allegiance do you have
>> to Phobos or to Walter?  What have they done for you that you feel you
>> must pay back?  Isn't better to pick and choose what you feel to be
>> the best than to stick with one "brand" due to loyalty?
>
> Call it a sense of foreboding. I just tried to install Tango and compile
> the first example hello1.d from the "Learn to Tango with D" book:
>
> hello1.d
> --------
> import tango.io.Stdout;
> void main()
> {
>         Stdout ("hello world").newline;
> }
>

> I cannot compile it under Windows XP Pro (SP3):
> ---
> E:\cygwin\home\Christoph\dt> dmd hello1.d
> OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 8.00.1
> Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2004  All rights reserved.
> hello1.obj(hello1)
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined
> _D5tango2io6Stdout6StdoutC5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print
> hello1.obj(hello1)
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined
> _D5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print5printMFYC5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print
>
> hello1.obj(hello1)
>  Error 42: Symbol Undefined
> _D5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print7newlineMFZC5tango2io5Print12__T5PrintTaZ5Print
>
> --- errorlevel 3
> ---
>
> I tried both the "Easy D" install (dmd-win32snaphot-0.6.2.exe; that
> contains Tango along with other libs), and also the manual Windows
> install (tango-0.99.7-bin-win32-dmd.1.033.zip) but the compiler error
> persists.

EH???

I've personally run Tango code from that installation image.  Are you
using the open_shell.bat file?  'Cause that's how it looks up the compiler.

I seriously doubt that you are correctly using the snapshot if it didn't
work.  I suppose it's my fault for not getting off my butt and recording
a screencast to show you how it's really done...  Sometimes a video is
worth a thousand tutorial documents.