CUDA with D?

Trass3r mrmocool at gmx.de
Thu Mar 19 09:29:57 PDT 2009

Chris R Miller schrieb:
> You're still writing in C, just using D to make an (extern) function
> call.  So it's not exactly D on the GPU, so I don't think it counts -
> plus the build sequence to build the C part with GCC->NVCC pass-through
> (or the MSVC->NVCC pass-through) would be a absolute nightmare to work
> with.

Well, that's what I thought about cause real D code on the GPU seems
utopian.

> I looked into OpenCL, which appears (at first glance) to be a funky way
> of stringing together assembler instructions using C function calls. I'm
> sure it's fast, but it's not the most friendly looking code to me (then
> again, I don't know ASM, so what do I know?)

OpenCL is really similar to CUDA, in fact nvidia will support it using CUDA.
It also uses an extended subset of C99 which will be somehow compiled.
Still wondering how it will work, hopefully it won't have that same
problem with the incompatible runtime :(