How to reduce compile times?

grauzone none at example.net
Sat Mar 21 13:45:37 PDT 2009

Brian wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:44:41 +0100, grauzone wrote:
>
>> I'm using dsss (with dmd under Linux) to compile my project, and
>> build/compile times are reaching unacceptable highs.
>
> out of curiosity, how much code do you actually have? im using D for
> something with ~12,000 lines of code right now, spread among 40 files or
> so, with a somewhat excessive use of CTFE and templates all over. a full
> rebuild takes about 5 seconds with incremental builds taking 1 or 2
> seconds in most cases.
>
> i just wanted to know what "excessively high" means
>
> P.S. using dmd 1.036, rebuild 0.78, phobos, linux

65906 physical lines of code (+ some Tango .di imports + some small
external libraries), maybe 200+ files, takes 1m10s to build when using
normal dsss. With -full and oneatatime=no, compile time goes down to 6-7
seconds. It's not that template- and CTFE-heavy.

Incremental builds can take relatively long (depending where the changed
files are in the dependency tree), and it's really annoying.