Need direction guide

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Mon May 4 01:56:19 PDT 2009

On Mon, 04 May 2009 12:29:54 +0400, Sam Hu <samhudotsamhu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have learnt C++ for years and can write simple and short toys.I have
> been following and learning D for quite a while but I can do nothing
> except finding ppl like you giant seems just write libs at this moment.I
> believe D2 is getting mre powerful and stronger but it seems to me just
> a legend.So right at this moment,I am wondering:
> 1.Whether D1 is useful to do something,or it is quite worth to wait for
> the stable or "finalized" verison of D2?If yes,what can one do using
> D1,I mean not just a toy,a test product,rather an serious tool?

It is very funny that you write that. D1 is a stable language and there is a lot of code written using it.
There is absolutely nothing that can be written in C++ and can't be in D (unless you are writing for a memory-limited embedded device).
In fact, D is a lot more powerful than C++ already, and it allows to you complete the same task faster and with less code.

> 2.Are those feathers in D2 vital  while D1 does not have?Or all these
> features are just for experienced programmers,a beginner can just ignore
> them at present?

I believe there is little difference between programming in D1 or D2 for a novice, but I'd recommend sticking with D1 for now because it is more stable, has a lot more code pre-written for you, common problems are solved, more experts available etc.

> I am lost although I like D so much than C++.I would like to spend as
> much time as learning C++ and want to gain as much as gain C++ can offer
> me. Any constructive suggestions or guideline would be much appreicated.

I'd suggest you to write more code, experience and knowledge comes with practice. Pick a project and start writing code. Whenever you find a difficulty, ask in newsgroups or in IRC (you usually get instant help there). I'd also recommend you to find some people that use/learn D and speak your language. For example, if you speak Chinese, d-programming-language-china.org is a great resource for you. I believe there are a lot of people that would be glad to help.

There is also russian community located at dprogramming.ru