Need direction guide

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:47:30 PDT 2009

Sam Hu wrote:

> I have learnt C++ for years and can write simple and short toys.I have
been following and learning D for quite a while but I can do nothing except
finding ppl like you giant seems just write libs at this moment.I believe D2
is getting mre powerful and stronger but it seems to me just a legend.So
right at this moment,I am wondering:
> 1.Whether D1 is useful to do something,or it is quite worth to wait for
the stable or "finalized" verison of D2?If yes,what can one do using D1,I
mean not just a toy,a test product,rather an serious tool?

D1 is very useful and mature imho, you can do anything with it that it was
designed for and them some more.

The choice of D1 or D2 is not too difficult: D2 itself is still changing,
compiler may have more bugs, and there are very, very few libraries for it.
Even the dsss build tool does not work with latest versions of dmd2. This
means: only usable for learning, building libraries and generally if you
want to stay on top of the bleeding edge. Not so suitable for making
applications yet.

> 2.Are those feathers in D2 vital  while D1 does not have?Or all these
features are just for experienced programmers,a beginner can just ignore
them at present?

Both are true I think. They really are important improvements, but not in a
way that makes D1 incomplete without them.

> I am lost although I like D so much than C++.I would like to spend as much
time as learning C++ and want to gain as much as gain C++ can offer me.Any
constructive suggestions or guideline would be much appreicated.

> Regards,
> Sam

Is your goal for now *just* to learn D? Then you could start making toy
programs with D2. Is your goal to learn D and make some cool programs? Then
D1 will make that easier.

Happy programming!