Sizeof class instance

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Sun Oct 4 02:44:08 PDT 2009

grauzone Wrote:

> Justin Johansson wrote:
> > How does one determine the sizeof (in bytes) of an instance of a class in D?
> >
> > .sizeof works as advertised for structs, but for reference types,
> > .sizeof yields the sizeof the referencing variable (effectively same as size of a pointer)
> > and not the size of the underlying instance.
>
> As Jarrett said, x.classinfo.init.length is the simplest way in D1.
>
> > I did try scanning the NG and read spec_D1.00.pdf.  Perhaps I missed it in the latter.
>
> I guess that PDF is horribly outdated, although it may work for some
> purposes.
>
> > btw. I was poking under the hood of std.xml and though, wow, instances of Element
> > class look humongous, and so I'm interested to how exactly how humongous.
>
> Wasn't std.xml for D2? Anyway, last what I remember is that std.xml is
> unmaintained, slow, buggy, and shouldn't be seriously used.

Yes and yes.  I'm currently using D1 but with view to D2 am having a peek at it's libs.

I can see why std.xml in D2 is slow, and would not be surprised if buggy as well;  it is quite disgusting code that's been hacked together without any real rhyme or reason.  So guess I'll be writing my own stuff
and leveraging on C libs where possible.  Got Expat parser running with D without too much trouble.

Thanks for comment grauzone.

-- Justin Johansson