Equivalent of scanf

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 19:53:41 PDT 2010

On Saturday 17 July 2010 16:21:04 Michael Koehmstedt wrote:
> Thanks for the informative reply.
>
> I am getting a run-time error with to!int(str). Apparently to!() seems to
> only support one-way converting other types to strings. That is part of
> the reason why I was getting so confused in figuring out how to read in an
> integer value. But you guys pointed me towards parse!() and that does work
> with string->int.

Hmm... to!int(str) seems to be working for me. The issue is probably that when
doing such a conversion, the _whole_ string must be convertable. So, no extra
whitespace or whatnot. If you're looking to take multiple values out of a
particular string or you might have whitespace in it, parse() is a better
choice. But to() should work just fine as long as the string is exactly
convertable to the type. As I understand it, to() should be able to convert
pretty much anything to anything as long as the type has the appropriate
conversion functions defined.

- Jonathan M Davis